Internet service provider (ISP),
Definition of Internet service provider (ISP):
The term internet service provider (ISP) refers to a company that provides access to the internet to both personal and business customers. ISPs make it possible for their customers to surf the web, shop online, conduct business, and connect with family and friends—all for a fee. ISPs may also provide other services including email services, domain registration, web hosting, and browser packages. An ISP may also be referred to as an information service provider, a storage service provider, an internet service provider (INSP), or any combination of these three based on the services the company offers.
Internet service was originally limited to government agencies and specific university departments. The technology was developed to provide access to the general public through the World Wide Web in the late 1980s. Consumers were able to gain limited access through a few ISPs—America On Line (AOL) being one of the most recognized names at the time—that used dial-up connections using a phone line.
Large-scale provider of internet connections, ISPs usually are the telephone companies who lease bulk Internet connections to internet access providers and information utilities, who in turn rent them to individual customers.
How to use Internet service provider (ISP) in a sentence?
- An internet service provider (ISP) is a company that provides web access to both businesses and consumers.
- An ISP is considered to be an information service provider, storage service provider, internet network service provider (INSP), or a mix of all of them.
- Access has gone from dial-up connections to high-speed broadband technology.
- ISPs may also provide other services such as email services, domain registration, web hosting, and browser services.
- Internet use has evolved from only those with university or government accounts having access to nearly everyone having access, whether it's paid or free.
Meaning of Internet service provider (ISP) & Internet service provider (ISP) Definition