HTML stands for Hypertext Markup Language. It is a language that is basically designed to create web pages and websites to run over www (World Wide web) or the internet. HTML is the most widely used language to create web pages throughout the world from when it has been discovered. The word hypertext describes the text that is present over the web pages and that text is used to connect the different web pages together. Different web pages are connected through the links that are present on them and that text is known as hypertext.
How did HTML evolve?
The first markup language that was discovered was GML. Then this language got updated to SGML and finally, SGML got updated to HTML. Since then a lot of changes have been made in HTML and the current version of HTML that we are using is HTML5. HTML5 a lot of features that were not present in HTML.
What features does HTML5 provide?
HTML documents can be created on Simple text editors such as Notepad, Notepad++, or on ‘what you see is what you get’ editors.
The Canvas element is another feature of HTML5 which helps us to draw graphical objects such as images lines shapes on any webpage programmatically.
Apart from this HTML5 has introduced a lot of input features such as date, month, number, and so on that ease the programmers’ burden to create things on a web page.
HTML5 has introduced an audio and a video feature that helps us to add the audio and video in any webpage and can be played on the audio and video players created by HTML5.
What should you know about HTML editors?
To give a proper structure to the HTML document we use different types of tags in any HTML document such as , , < p>, < HR>, etc. These tags are enclosed within greater than and less than symbols and these symbols are together known as Angular brackets. All the content in the HTML page is written between the starting and the ending tag.
What are the basic tags used in HTML?
*The italic or the I tag is used to make any text italic in any HTML webpage.
*The paragraph tag is used to write the text in the form of a paragraph on any HTML web page. It separates a large block of text into different paragraphs.
- The bold tag is used to make a text bolder or emphasize any text within the HTML body.
- The underline tag is used to draw a line under the text on the HTML document.
- The HR or the horizontal rule tag is used to draw a line in between the text whenever needed. This tag draws a horizontal line in the HTML document whenever required in the body tag.
- The BR or the line break tag is used to break the line or change the line from between the text on any HTML document. In simple terms to change the line in the text, we use the BR tag.
- The title of any HTML page is written inside the title tag.
- This tag contains the whole web page body or the HTML document body where all the different text, images, graphs, etc are inserted along with the other text formatting tags.
*The head tag contains all the necessary information about any HTML document such as the title of the document, any linked files, CSS classes, ids, and so on.
- Any HTML document is run over a browser so for the browser to identify any document as an HTML document we use the HTML tag. All the HTML documents start with < HTML> and end with and contain all the other HTML tags.
- There are 6 different heading tags that are present in HTML. We can use different tags for different types of headings. To write the biggest heading we can use the H1 tag, the H2 tag is smaller than H1, and so on till H6. H6 is the tag used to write the smallest heading.
To create a user interactive web site, you must use CSS (Cascade Style Sheet) along with HTML. CSS is a strong styling language that makes the web pages more effective and user friendly. HTML is mainly used to create the web page while CSS is used to create the page layout and how the web pages will look. You can know more about both technologies by referring to the CIW: Advanced HTML5 and CSS3 Specialist (1D0-620) course offered by uCertify.
Grab the best deals at uCertify’s Black Friday sale
Check out the Black Friday Sale at uCertify to get a 20% site-wide discount. Explore our rich library of more than 400 titles, choose the desired certification course, and start learning with us. Do not forget to use promo code “FD20” during check out. Offer ends on Sunday, November 29th, 2020.