- Lie on your back with your knees bent, hip-width apart.
- Place your hands behind your head with your elbows open wide.
- Take a deep breath and engage your core muscles (upper and lower abdominal muscles) as you lift your torso including your shoulders while keeping your head back without pulling on your neck.
- Perform 20 repetitions.
Bicycle Abdominal Exercise
- While still on your back, continue to keep your hands behind your head.
- Bring your knees into your chest then straighten one leg while turning your upper body toward the opposite bent knee.
- Alternate with your right and left legs until you perform 20 repetitions – 10 on each side.
Plank* Turn over on your front and place your elbows underneath your shoulders. * Flex your feet and lift your entire body so it is parallel to the floor. * Hold for 60 seconds. * Work up to 1, 2 and 5 minutes.
In addition to working the abdominal muscles, this exercise works every muscle in your body.
Walk or Run
Walking or running is an excellent exercise to not only reduce belly fat, but it will also lower your risk of chronic diseases such as Type 2 Diabetes cancer or high cholesterol. It is a great way to tone and strengthen your abdominal core muscles, arms and legs.
You can burn 100 calories per mile, depending on your weight, just running. Start off slow and work your way up to 30 to 40 minutes every day.
Leg LiftsWhen you get back from your walk or run, you can perform leg lifts.
- Lie on your back with your palms face down tucked just underneath your hips so your hands are peaking out.
- Engage your core muscles and lift your hips and legs up keeping them straight.
- Perform 10 – 12 repetitions.
BurpeesBurpees are one of the best ways to lose belly fat faster than any other exercise.
- Begin by standing with your feet shoulder-width apart.
- Bend your knees to a squat position – place your hands on the floor – and jump back to a plank position.
- Bring your feet back by jumping towards your hands and stand up.
- Repeat 10 times.
Hindu Push-UpsIf any of the exercises listed above do not appeal to you or want another option, you can perform Hindu push-ups.
- Begin by bending over and walking your hands forward to a downward facing dog position like in yoga with your hands shoulder-width apart and hips pointing to the ceiling.
- Slowly lower down to plank position and hold for 3 seconds before dropping your hips to the floor and lifting your chest to the sky.
- Go back to plank position and lift your hips to the downward facing dog position.
- Repeat 10 times.
This exercise works your entire body including your core muscles, chest, shoulders, back, triceps, hips and legs. In fact, all of the exercises listed above are very effective in helping you lose belly fat quickly.
With that said, it is critical that you must change your lifestyle that includes a healthy diet combined with these exercises because both will play a major role in losing belly fat. In other words, you can exercise all you want, but if you are not eating healthy meals, it will be extremely difficult to make any progress in reducing your belly fat.
Here are 6 tips to consider:
- Do NOT skip meals.
- Include high-quality protein at every meal.
- Avoid sugar and highly-processed foods.
- Drink water throughout the day.
- Schedule your workout like you would a meeting with a client – the client is YOU.
- Limit your alcohol intake.
If you make these changes and perform the above exercises, you will be successful at losing belly fat.