How To Find The Best Apartment in Montreal?

Whether you are a student looking for an apartment after getting into a University in Montreal or a family or an individual looking for a new start, you need to know how to find the best apartment in Montreal and, how to find the best Montreal movers for the job.

How To Find The Best Apartment in Montreal

So, how do you find the best apartment in Montreal? Montreal is a big city and finding an apartment is not an easy task. However, if you narrow your options down to the exact neighborhood that you’d like to live in, the price range, the type of building and mode of transit, etc. you will find a good ■■■■■■■ apartment for you in no time.

Things to Consider When Looking for An Apartment in Montreal

Don’t make the mistake of relying too much on ad sites because the information may not be up-to-date or have everything down to the last detail. The best way to go about is a physical visit where you can check the apartment, talk to the landlord or the current owner, etc. The following is what you should look for:

The Preferred Neighborhood

Which neighborhoods appeal to you? Where is your current place of residence? Do my preferred neighborhoods have all the amenities that I need? Is my neighborhood convenient for me to move around?

Every neighborhood has its advantages and disadvantages and this is the only way that you’ll discover everything.

On your free day, take a walk in your preferred neighborhood and other parts of town to know the surroundings and most importantly, know what’s best for you.

Price of apartment

How much are you willing to pay for your new Montreal apartment? Or rather, how much are you willing to pay with other things included such as heating? You have to budget everything and put it down on paper before you start hunting for an apartment in Montreal.

One thing that you should know is that you have every right to ask your potential new landlord about how much the previous tenant paid for the apartment. This information is important because the difference will tell you whether the new price is justified.

Type of Building and The Rules Involved

What type of buildings do you want to live in? is it a duplex, triplex, or a multi-unit type? Do you want to live in a smaller building with fewer neighbors or a bigger building with over 20 neighbors?

You also need to know that you need to sign a lease after you receive the building rules and obligations. Many apartment complexes in Montreal have a set of rules and obligations for all the tenants that must be followed. The official term for these rules is “by-laws” and you must adhere to these rules but only if you received them before signing the lease.

Pet it in The Apartment?

The City of Montreal laws give landlords the right to allow or not to allow pets in an apartment but this has to be included in the by-laws that we stated above. So, if you have a pet that you don’t want to let go of and the landlord says “no pets allowed”, then you should look for a new apartment in a different building.

However, if the bylaws don’t have anything on pets, you can gladly bring your pet over when it’s time to move in. Also, if the bylaws only specify one type of pet, then you can bring a different into the apartment without infringing the laws.

Finally, your pet shouldn’t cause any issues with the neighbors because the landlord has the right to ask you to either remove the pet or leave.

Transport

If I own a car, what are the parking options in my new apartment complex? Am I ready to commute to my place of work? Whether it’s walking, taking a bus, or the metro? I’m I ready to walk for 15 minutes to catch a bus? If I own a bicycle, can I ride it everywhere?

These are some of the questions that you should ask yourself to see the convenience of living in a particular area when it comes to transportation.

Pay the Bills

How much are electricity charges? Avoid the isolated building because the bills are usually unreasonably high, especially during winter.

The Best Montreal Movers

When looking for the right Montreal movers, you’ll get lots of options but Movingo is highly recommended. This Montreal moving company has professional and courteous movers who’ll handle your items with care, move you on time and keep you informed every step of the way.