Spray carburetor cleaner into the throat of the carburetor and around the throttle valve. Depending on the engine model, operate the throttle lever manually or with the lever to loosen any deposits. If necessary, spray again with carburetor cleaning spray.
To clean an engine carburetor without disassembling it, remove the cups on the bottom of the carburetor. With the pots removed, spray some carburetor cleaner, wait a few minutes, and then spray again to ensure coverage.
- Use a screwdriver to unscrew the fuel line clamp on the bottom of the TroyBilt fuel tank. Remove the fuel line and pull it straight into the pail to collect the old gas.
- Use the screwdriver to loosen the clamp holding the fuel line on the side of the carburetor.
- Hold the fuel line vertically over the pail.
After turning off the engine, spray the air ash cleaner on the underside of the carburetors to remove any additional debris. Refit the carburetor cover and ■■■■■■■■ insert the air filter and screw the air filter cover back on.
Small engine repair: cleaning the carburetor
- Step 1: Diagnose the problem. Photo 1: Carbohydrate gas test. Compress the fuel line.
- Step 2: Remove the carburetor. Photo 2: Carbohydrates are easily removed. Use a socket wrench or a wrench to remove the two screws that secure the carburetor to the engine.
- Step 3: Rebuild the carburetor. Photo 4: Break Down Carbohydrates on the Workbench.
How to clean the carburetor on a Toro 6.5 lawn mower
Typically, a bad or failing carburetor will show symptoms that can alert the driver that attention may be needed.
WD40’s Fast Acting Carbohydrate Cleaner is atomized and can be used on almost any carburetor. WD40 Cleaner Mix can be used on all unpainted metal parts.
The best I have found is Castrol Purple Power or one of the similar cleaners, mix about 1: 1 with hot water in a bowl or bucket and let the broken down carbs work for a while. dissolves mud and stains quickly.
Another alternative to carburetor cleaner is brake cleaner. It is safe to use on the carburetor and is formulated to dissolve grease and dirt like a carburetor cleaner.
It is necessary to clean the carburetor every six months to avoid deposits in the engine and to increase fuel consumption and engine efficiency.
10 Best Carburetor Cleaners
If you are using this product and have an aluminum based carburetor (which is quite common), you should limit the soak time to 3060 minutes per soak with a maximum total soak time of 4 hours.
Your lawn mower won’t start:
A carburetor is a device that, depending on the manufacturer, is usually screwed onto the side or top of a lawn mower’s engine. The carburetor is essentially designed to draw gas from the gas tank and air through a filter into a mixing chamber.
A lawnmower needs to breathe
Do not operate the lawn mower without an air filter or pre-filter as this can seriously damage the engine. Do not try to clean the paper filter.
The carburetor has two rotary valves above and below the venturi. At the top is a valve called a choke which controls how much air can enter. When the choke is closed, less air flows through the tube and the venturi takes up more fuel, giving the engine a rich fuel mixture.