Suddenly you feel this way: you just want to curl up on yourself. The feeling comes like a wave and makes us feel alone and without resources. Exhaustion affects us and - at worst - can turn into a physical and psychological breakdown.
We’ve all been in similar situations, and we always ask ourselves: Could I have known before it got worse? What could I have done to prevent it? How can I cope with particularly stressful days?
KissAnime Experts agree that exercise is key to success.
Those who exercise regularly reduces stress, improves mood, and stimulates mental health.
WHERE DOES STRESS COME FROM?
Stress at work, in the family, or in your free time - there are various reasons why the body and mind react to stress. But since each of us is different, stressors are also perceived differently. This is why some situations can be a threat to someone, while others view them as positive or beneficial situations that push them to do better. In this case, we are talking about eustress or the positive cognitive response to stress.
In the prefrontal cortex …
… The information we learn is stored, analyzed, and processed. When the brain absorbs too much information, it is unable to process it. This leads to a sense of overload and various stress disorders that can have a negative impact on health. ( 1 )
When stress is frequent or constant, but our body cannot handle it, it is perceived as negative and stress hormones (adrenaline, noradrenaline, and cortisol) are released, which make the body more efficient for a short time . The body prepares to “fight or flee” (as our ancestors had to flee from wild animals). We want to survive and that means escaping from dangerous situations.
REDUCE STRESS WITH EXERCISE
The oldest physical reaction - running - still helps the body and mind to regain balance today.
Exercise and sport …
… Are controlled by the motor cortex of the brain. When you move, this area is activated, requiring most of the resources. The result is that the prefrontal cortex, which controls our emotional responses to stress, doesn’t have enough resources. Thus, his activity level decreases, and stress is reduced.
WHAT SHOULD YOU CONSIDER WHEN PLAYING SPORTS TO REDUCE STRESS?
Playing sports is a great way to reduce stress. When you move, your body produces endorphins, which improve your mood. However, bear in mind that pushing yourself too hard in stressful situations could be counterproductive to your health and increase your stress levels. Do short workouts, interspersed with light runs or swimming sessions to recover. Last but not least: practice a sport that you enjoy and do not weigh you down.
WHAT IS THE BEST ACTIVITY TO REDUCE STRESS?
There are diverging opinions:
- Many experts recommend running because it is one of the first activities we learn. The important thing, in this case, is to stay in the aerobic phase (your breathing accelerates, but you don’t get out of breath) to avoid putting too much effort into your body.
- In addition to endurance sports, regular walking helps reduce stress.
- Yoga is another effective way. By focusing on your breathing, you enter a meditative state
- Team sports, such as football or volleyball, have the benefit of socialization, an important factor that helps to increase self-esteem and lower stress levels at the same time.
- Self-defense manages to develop mastery of one’s body, improving balance and coordination.
- Climbing is another great option, as it develops concentration and gives you a feeling of freedom.
Health tip :
The World Health Organization (WHO) recommends doing 150 minutes of physical activity per week. (4)
It is important that you enjoy the sport you choose and make you feel good. There is no advantage in choosing an activity or training plan that causes even more stress or a sense of competition. The key is to understand what works best for you. Your friends can run 10km to relax - but that doesn’t mean that’s what your body needs.