How do you use the word touché?

How do you use the word touché?

Touché is an admittance of a good repartee by an opponent to a smart point made by someone.

You use it when you’re debating or trying to persuade someone, and they make a good point/counter-argument, and you want to acknowledge their good point.

Person One: “Obamacare made my premiums go up 10% last year.”

Person Two: “But they went up 20% the year before Obamacare was passed.”

Person One: “Touché.”

My father would have used one of his favorite jokes to explain the situation.
A husband and wife were driving down the countryside and came across a farm filled with pigs, donkeys and mules.
The husband pointed to them and said to his wife, “Your relatives.
Without missing a beat, she said, “Yes. In-laws.”

A guy was seated next to a 10-year-old girl on an airplane. Being bored, he turned to the girl and said, “Let’s talk. I’ve heard that flights go quicker if you strike up a conversation with your fellow passenger.”

The girl, who was reading a book, closed it slowly and said to the guy, “What would you like to talk about?”

Oh, I don’t know," said the guy. “How about nuclear power?”

“OK,” she said. “That could be an interesting topic. But let me ask you a question first. A horse, a cow and a deer all eat the same stuff… grass. Yet a deer excretes little pellets, while a cow turns out a flat patty, and a horse produces clumps of dried grass. Why do you suppose that is?”

The guy thought about it and said, “Hmmm, I have no idea.”

To which the girl replied, “Do you really feel qualified to discuss nuclear power when you don’t know ■■■■■■

example 1
“If there are any idiots in the room, will they please stand up” said the sarcastic teacher.

After a long silence, one student rose to her feet.

“Now then young lady, why do you consider yourself an idiot?” inquired the teacher with a sneer.

“Well, actually I don’t,” said the student, “but I hate to see you standing up there all by yourself.”

example 2
exclamation (in fencing) used as an acknowledgement of a hit by one’s opponent .

used as an acknowledgement during a discussion of a good or clever point made at one’s expense by another person.

The idea is that one person makes a comment or claim and the other person comes in with a quick, sharp response which cuts the first one down.

An example might be:

He: “You know you have still never beaten me at tennis”

She “Then again, we only ever played once, I was seven months pregnant. And you still could only beat me 15:13 in the tie-breaker.”

He: " touché"

I will list examples after this short history lesson.

Common use of Touché originates from fencing, where it comes from the french term for “touched”. One calls it out when they are ‘hit’ or ‘touched’ to indicate/admit the opponent has scored a point.

In this sense, touched, the acknowledgement of having being touched by what is said, is used colloquially (And if you had to look up what colloquially meant, it means in casual informal conversation).

Ex1:
Person A:
You said you would be in time and here I am waiting a whole minute for you!

Person B:
True, but I said I’d wait for you at the MAIN ENTRANCE! You are waiting at the wrong place you goofer!

Person A:
Touché, you did say the main entrance, my bad never mind.

Ex2:

Meta information about person A and B: Person A really likes ice cream, and person B knows this about person A.

Person A:
Are you ready to see the rest of the city? I’m tired of this place!

Person B:
Sure but I’d rather stay a bit longer here to read the street signs, AND they seem to have nice ice cream stand around the corner. (points to kid walking with ice cream)

Person A:
Touché! I’ll be back in a minute, meet you here. You want one?

Ex 3:

Person A:
Come on honey, It’s 5 in the afternoon! Those potatoes won’t wash themselves.

Person B:
Why are you in such a hurry? Wash them yourself! I am watching my favorite show.

Person A:
Yesterday you promised to cook diner today so you could watch the game with your buddies all evening. And I am holding you to your promise!

Person B:
Touché darling, I forgot about that. I’m on it!

You use it when you have been doing well in an argument or debate but the other person finds a fault in your argument. Then, to admit that you have been bested by the other person, you say “ Touché.” It is French for “touched,” meaning that you have been touched by the point of the other person’s fencing implement, conceding that you have lost a point in the argument.

Touché (French pronunciation: ​[tu’ʃe]): the French word for “touched” is used to acknowledge a hit, called out by the fencer who is hit. Conversely, if a fencer concedes a hit when no hit was actually made, the fencer’s adversary would say, “‘pas de touche’” (French pronunciation: ​[pɑ də tuʃ]; English: no touch) to indicate that the hit should not be counted

Its use in English is likewise to acknowledge a successful “hit” or “attack,” but a verbal one.

5/1 Hybrid Adjustable-Rate Mortgage (5/1 Hybrid ARM),

5/1 Hybrid Adjustable-Rate Mortgage (5/1 Hybrid ARM) Definition:

5/1 Hybrid Adjustable-Rate Mortgage (5/1 Hybrid ARM)
  • An adjusted 5/1 hybrid mortgage (5/1 ARM) starts with a fixed rate with an initial period of five years, after which the annual interest rate is adjusted. In this term, number 5 refers to a fixed interest rate for years and number 1 refers to the frequency (once a year) of interest rate adjustment later. As a result, monthly payments sometimes increase dramatically after five years.

• 5/1 Hybrid Adjusted Mortgages (ARMs) offer a fixed five-year introductory rate. Thereafter, the interest rate is adjusted annually.
    • As per ARM, interest rates vary based on the nominal interest rate and the binding index.
    • Homeowners generally benefit from lower mortgage payments during the initial period.

Literal Meanings of 5/1 Hybrid Adjustable-Rate Mortgage (5/1 Hybrid ARM)

Hybrid:

Meanings of Hybrid:
  1. Descent of two different plants or animals, ie, B a mule (a hybrid of donkey and horse)

2. Something that is done by mixing two different elements in a mixture.

3. Mixed parts, mixed in nature.

Sentences of Hybrid
  1. A hybrid of wheat and rye

2. The final text is a mixture of work and film

3. Post-conquest hybrid Mexican culture

Synonyms of Hybrid

merger, union, combination, hybrid, blend, mingling, alloy, mixture, concoction, mixed-breed, composition, cross, coalition, brew, amalgam, cross-breed, amalgamation, compound, fusion

Adjustable:

Sentences of Adjustable
  1. This car has a fully adjusted seat and steering wheel

Synonyms of Adjustable

multiway, accommodating, versatile, alterable, adaptable, convertible, modifiable, variable

Rate:

Meanings of Rate:
  1. A quantity, quantity, or frequency that is usually measured in relation to another quantity or measure.

2. Pay a fixed price or charge something for something, especially good or service.

3. Scolding (someone) in anger

Sentences of Rate
  1. They were asked to assess their abilities in various driving exercises

2. The show has seemed a bit unfocused in recent episodes

Synonyms of Rate

consider to be, price, value, gauge, figure, charge, put a value on, cost, judge to be, outlay, hold to be, tariff, reckon to be, calculate, compute, estimate, think to be, measure, adjudge, judge, deem to be, fare, amount, hire, find to be, assess, evaluate, appraise

Mortgage:

Meanings of Mortgage:
  1. Designate the lender (property) as a loan collateral.

2. A legal arrangement under which a bank or other lender lends at interest in exchange for the allocation of the lender's property, provided the transfer of the property is canceled after the settlement of the debt.

Sentences of Mortgage
  1. The farm is being maintained

2. I deposited one lakh cash and took out the rest of the mortgage

Synonyms of Mortgage

guarantee, put up as collateral, ■■■■, advance, mortgage, credit

ARM:

Meanings of ARM:
  1. From shoulder to hand, each of the two upper extremities of the human body.

2. Something that is comparable to an arm in shape or action, usually something that explodes from a large structure.

3. A branch or department of a company or organization.

4. Each line rotates at an angle.

5. Send or send weapons.

6. Adjusted mortgage

Sentences of ARM
  1. She picked up the baby

2. The cable attaches the ■■■■ to the steel arms attached to the top of the tower.

3. The political arm of the separatist group

4. One of the angular arms - and one of the angular arms - extends to the same degree.

5. Both sides were armed with grenades and machine guns

Synonyms of ARM

furnish, extension, upper limb, department, supply, satellite, forelimb, offshoot, fit up, provision, appendage, division, fit out, detachment, accoutre, branch, gird, bureau, sector, outfit

5/1 Arm,

5/1 Arm:

ARM which is adjusted only for the first time in the sixth year and then adjusted once in a year.

Literal Meanings of 5/1 Arm

Arm:

Meanings of Arm:
  1. From the shoulders to the hands, each of the two upper extremities of the human body.

2. Anything that compares an object to an arm in shape or function, usually something that erupts from a large structure.

3. Each line contains an angle.

4. Send or equip weapons.

5. Mortgage loans with variable interest rates

Sentences of Arm
  1. She held the baby in her arms

2. The cables connected the ■■■■ to a steel arm mounted near the top of the ■■■■.

3. One angular arm and one angular arm grow evenly.

Synonyms of Arm

provide, issue, rig out, stock, section, office, equip, wing, lodge, chapter, subdivision, agency