Gestalt

Gestalt,

Definition of Gestalt:

1. An organized whole that is perceived as more than the sum of its parts.

2. Fuzzy German word with no exact English equivalent, variously defined as completeness, configuration, essence, form, manner, organic structure, totality, and wholeness. At the level of an individual, it means the organized form or pattern that makes up all of a persons experience of what is perceived to be out there. See also gestalt theory.

Synonyms of Gestalt

Alentours, Ambience, Ambit, Angle, Aspect, Borderlands, Circle, Circuit, Circumambiencies, Circumjacencies, Circumstances, Compass, Configuration, Context, Contour, Delineation, Effect, Eidolon, Entourage, Environing circumstances, Environment, Environs, Facet, Fashion, Feature, Features, Figuration, Figure, Figure-ground, Form, Framework, Guise, Habitat, Image, Imago, Impression, Light, Likeness, Lineaments, Lines, Look, Main features, Manner, Milieu, Neighborhood, Outline, Outposts, Outskirts, Pattern, Perimeter, Periphery, Phase, Phasis, Precincts, Profile, Purlieus, Reference, Regard, Relief, Respect, Seeming, Semblance, Shape, Shapes, Side, Silhouette, Simulacrum, Situation, Skeleton, Slant, Style, Suburbs, Surroundings, Total effect, Total environment, Tournure, Twist, Vicinage, Vicinity, View, Viewpoint, Wise

How to use Gestalt in a sentence?

1. When I learned the gestalt theory in a psychology class in college, I understood it to mean that often the whole is more than the sum of its individual parts.
  2. Cindy loved the entire gestalt of the movie business -- the casting, the costumes, the celebrities -- and could never narrow it down to just one aspect.
  3. The German man used the word gestalt to describe his whole life and his experiences up to that very moment, but the American couldnt find a word to convey the same feeling.
  4. Im not sure I have great art inside of me, but theres something in my gut that seeks to express the gestalt I experience and perceive.

Meaning of Gestalt & Gestalt Definition