Definition of Gambling:
An act of gambling.
Betting (wagering) that must result either in a gain or a loss. Gambling is neither risk taking in the sense of speculation (assumption of substantial short-term risk) nor investing (acquiring property or assets for securing long-term capital gains). It also differs from insurance which may reduce or eliminate the risk of loss but offers no legitimate chance of gain.
A risky action undertaken with the hope of success.
Take risky action in the hope of a desired result.
Play games of chance for money; bet.
Synonyms of Gambling
Cosa Nostra, Mafia, Betting, Black market, Bootlegging, Cardsharping, Casting lots, Gaming, Gray market, Hazarding, Illegal commerce, Illegal operations, Illegitimate business, Illicit business, Loan-sharking, Moonshining, Narcotics traffic, Organized crime, Play, Playing, Prostitution, Protection racket, Racket, Risking, Shady dealings, Sortition, Speculation, Sporting, Staking, The rackets, The syndicate, Traffic in women, Usury, Wagering, White slavery, Take a chance, Take a risk, Take a leap in the dark, Leave things to chance, Speculate, Venture, Buy a pig in a poke, Bet, Wager, Place a bet, Lay a bet, Stake money on something, Back the horses, Try ones luck on the horses, Bet, Wager, Speculation, Risk, Chance, Hazard, Speculation, Venture, Random shot, Leap in the dark
How to use Gambling in a sentence?
- I had a gambling addiction, so I would go to the casino every week and see how much money I could make.
- He gambles on football.
- The stock market can be a lot like gambling but if you make the right decisions they can really pay off in the end.
- After work every weekend, the office manager couldnt help gambling his paycheck away at the casino, despite being in debt.
- Dad likes a bit of a gamble.
- He was gambling on the success of his satellite TV channel.
- We decided to take a gamble and offer him a place on our staff.
Meaning of Gambling & Gambling Definition