Definition of Expense:
Money spent or cost incurred in an organizations efforts to generate revenue, representing the cost of doing business.
Expenses may be in the form of actual cash payments (such as wages and salaries), a computed expired portion (depreciation) of an asset, or an amount taken out of earnings (such as bad debts). Expenses are summarized and charged in the income statement as deductions from the income before assessing income tax. Whereas all expenses are costs, not all costs (such as those incurred in acquisition of income generating assets) are expenses.
Offset (an item of expenditure) as an expense against taxable income.
The cost required for something; the money spent on something.
Synonyms of Expense
Amount, Bereavement, Budget, Budget items, Burden of expenditure, Carrying charge, Charge, Charges, Cost, Cost of living, Cost-of-living allowance, Cost-of-living index, Costs, Damage, Dead loss, Debit, Decrement, Denial, Denudation, Deprivation, Despoilment, Destruction, Detriment, Direct costs, Disbursals, Disbursement, Dispossession, Distributed costs, Divestment, Expenditure, Expense account, Expenses, Fee, Figure, Forfeit, Forfeiture, General expenses, Impairment, Indirect costs, Injury, Labor costs, Liabilities, Loser, Losing, Losing streak, Loss, Material costs, Operating costs, Operating expense, Outgoings, Outlay, Overhead, Payment, Perdition, Price, Price tag, Prime cost, Privation, Rate, Replacement cost, Robbery, Ruin, Sacrifice, Score, Spending, Spoliation, Stripping, Swindle sheet, Tab, Taking away, Toll, Total loss, Unit cost, Cost, Price
How to use Expense in a sentence?
- Up to $17,500 in capital expenditures can be expensed in the year they were incurred.
- Knowing the expense of what it costs to run your business will tell you how much you need to charge to ensure a profit.
- The companys expense s surpassed its revenue. Therefore they were at a loss for the fiscal year. Maybe they should have charged more money for their product.
- We had ordered suits at great expense.
- Determining what the expense to make a product is will allow you to come up with the right price to charge.
Meaning of Expense & Expense Definition