Definition of Electrolysis:
Electro-chemical process in which current is passed between two electrodes through an ionized solution (electrolyte) to deposit positive ions (anions) on the negative electrode (cathode) and negative ions (cations) on the positive electrode (anode). The entire system is called electrolytic cell which is used in several industries such as electroplating, refining bauxite into aluminum, producing chlorine and caustic soda from table salt (sodium chloride), and in analytical techniques such as polarography. Basic principles of electrolysis were discovered by the UK scientist Michael Faraday (1791-1867) and were developed by the Swedish scientist Svante Arrhenius (1859-1927) winner of the 1903 Nobel Prize in chemistry.
The removal of hair roots or small blemishes on the skin by the application of heat using an electric current.
Chemical decomposition produced by passing an electric current through a liquid or solution containing ions.
Synonyms of Electrolysis
Acetification, Acidification, Acidulation, Alkalization, Anion, Bloodless surgery, Carbonation, Catalysis, Cation, Cauterization, Cautery, Chemicalization, Electrocautery, Electrocoating, Electroetching, Electrogalvanization, Electrogilding, Electrograving, Electrolyte, Electrolyzation, Electroplating, Electroresection, Electrosurgery, Ferment, Fermentation, Galvanization, Hydrogenation, Ion, Ionization, Ionogen, Isomerism, Laser surgery, Metamerism, Metamerization, Nitration, Nonelectrolyte, Oxidation, Oxidization, Phosphatization, Polymerism, Polymerization, Position isomerism, Radiosurgery, Reduction, Saturization, Surgery, Surgical diathermy, Surgical treatment, Working
How to use Electrolysis in a sentence?
- Many new techniques involving electrolysis are allowing businesses to come up with new quick solutions to some recent problems faster.
- The free element sodium was first produced in 1807 by the English chemist Humphry Davy by electrolysis of molten sodium hydroxide.
- We also refer patients for mechanical control measures of hair growth including electrolysis and laser therapy.
- The chemistry company used electrolysis in its lab to help create new molecules and make new ways of creating clean energy.
- Many new techniques in the modern health care area use electrolysis to help cure patients of certain conditions or symptoms.
Meaning of Electrolysis & Electrolysis Definition