There are a number of reasons why the Dodge Caliber overheats, the three most common coolant leaks (water pump, radiator, hose, etc.), the radiator fan or a broken thermostat.
There are 2 thermostats in the thermostat housing, it can be one or both.
The master thermostat is located on the front of the water chamber in the thermostat housing. The secondary thermostat is located in the cylinder head under the water chamber.
- Overview. How to determine the type of cooling system.
- Open the hood.
- Find the tank. Find the coolant reservoir and clean it.
- Empty the tank. Remove the coolant from the container.
- Radiator cap. Remove the radiator cap before emptying it.
- Hit point. Find the drain point on the radiator.
- Drain the coolant.
The dual thermostat system is designed to achieve the same temperature control under different load conditions. Instead of manipulating the air side of the radiator, it varies the flow of coolant to the radiator.
How to replace the thermostat