Do you need a modem and a router

Do you need a modem and a router

Is a router and a modem the same thing? A router is a small device that is placed between your modem and your computer. Most routers are about the same size and shape as a modem. The purpose of the router is to receive information from the modem and transfer it to your computer. But this is not the best.

Can I use a router without a modem?

The router works independently of a modem without a modem, the router still allows devices to connect via Wi-Fi and share wired ports and resources with each other. The only thing they can't do is access the internet because nothing connects the router to the internet.

Do I "really" need a new modem?

If it ain't broke, don't fix it, eh? Well, when it comes to internet technology, this is not always the case. If you are happy with the performance of your modem and the speed of your internet, you should definitely not replace your modem until it stops working properly. But technology often changes faster when equipment stops working. Chances are, if you've owned your modem for more than five years, it won't work as fast as it would with a new modem.

Does the router require a modem?

The router processes all incoming and outgoing information from every device and modem and thus ensures a safe end in the right place. However, the router does not need to be connected to a modem to work. You can create a local network without internet access. Simply put, your router - Assigns a local IP address to every device on the network.

Is a modem and a router the same thing

Do you need both modem and a wireless router?

Routers and modems are traditionally two separate devices that make up your home network. With today's technology, however, you don't necessarily need a separate modem and router, because newer modem and router combinations combine the functionality of both devices into one powerful device.

Do you have to have a modem and a router?

For security reasons, you should have a firewall that works differently from a router and/or modem, but almost all modern routers have a built-in firewall. Most modems with routers have firewalls; A router is not necessary if your modem has a firewall router.

:diamond_shape_with_a_dot_inside: Can a router be used as a modem?

Yes, you can use a traditional modem/router. Many modems/routers have a modem-only configuration (also known as bridge mode).

:diamond_shape_with_a_dot_inside: How do you connect a router to a modem?

Connect your router to your modem. Connect one end of the coaxial cable to the wall jack of your cable. Connect the other end of the coaxial cable to the coaxial port on your modem. Connect the modem cable to the modem. Plug the modem into a nearby power outlet. Turn on the modem.

What's the difference between a modem and a router

Is a router and a modem the same thing make

Although some use the two words interchangeably, they are not the same. A modem provides Internet access in your home, and a router provides Internet access to devices in your home via Wi-Fi or an Ethernet cable.

:diamond_shape_with_a_dot_inside: What is the best modem router in the world?

• Linksys
  • dlink
  • usropotex
  • lucent
  • speedstream
  • simiens
  • belkin
  • Aztech
  • Siemens
  • another modem router (write down)

What does modem do you use with your router?

The modem is like a translator, on the one hand it speaks DSL and on the other hand the data it can use. This is the detail that keeps the cable from coming off the wall. The router decides where incoming packets should go, essentially deciding whether something goes to the internet or to another device on your network.

:diamond_shape_with_a_dot_inside: Is a router and a modem the same thing are important

Modems and routers are essential devices to connect to the Internet. Many people confuse them because they both have blinking lights on the front and Ethernet ports on the back. However, modems and routers have very different functions.

Difference between modem and router

:eight_spoked_asterisk: Do you need a modem and a router?

Depending on your Internet Service Provider (ISP), you may need to purchase a separate router, router and modem or router by modem. Nearly all ISPs use DSL or fiber for their services, which require signal conversion through a modem. Most modern routers have built-in modems, so you only need one device.

What is the difference between modem router?

Modem. Modem is short for modulator-demodulator, meaning it modulates transmissions to receive and send data. router A router is a standalone device that connects to the Ethernet port of the modem and redirects network/internet traffic to connected devices. A router/modem combination. net fabric. Something like a grid.

:eight_spoked_asterisk: Why do you need a router?

Why do you need a router? Every device on the internet needs a unique IP address. Your ISP will provide you with one that your device can use to access the Internet. Through this IP address, the router gains access to the Internet and then makes local IP addresses, which are not visible on the Internet, available to PCs and other connected devices.

:eight_spoked_asterisk: What is the definition of router and modem?

Both modems and routers are involved in connecting your computers to the Internet. The modem encrypts and decrypts data so that it can be exchanged between your home network and your Internet Service Provider (ISP). A router, on the other hand, forwards the information collected by the modem to devices on that network.

Is a router and a modem the same thing are called

Best Versatility: ARRIS SURFboard SB6141 DOCSIS Cable Modem. Most available cable modems meet all of these requirements, but the ARRIS SURFboard SB6141 probably offers the best balance of all. It has something called DOCSIS 3.

What is the use of a modem in networking?

What is a modem in computer networks? History of modems. The first devices, called modems, converted digital data for transmission over analog telephone lines. Modems for remote access. The modems used in dial-up networks convert data between the analog form used in telephone lines and the digital form used in computers. High-speed modems.

:brown_circle: What is the purpose of a modem?

The modem is actually one of the most important hardware devices used in computers, especially for networking purposes on the Internet. Modems are used to modulate analog signals so that they can encode digital information.

What is a modem and how does the modem work?

A modem is a hardware device that connects your computer to your Internet Service Provider (ISP). A cable modem does the same thing by using a coaxial cable to communicate with your ISP and connect to the Internet. Basically, a cable modem works like a digital translator.

:brown_circle: Is a router and a modem the same thing are true

There is a misconception that modems and routers are the same. They are very easy to confuse, they look the same, they are both rectangular, they both have flashing lights and they give them internet, so to speak. However, modems and routers are not the same; they use different technologies and work in different ways.

:eight_spoked_asterisk: Is a router and a modem the same thing better

Which is better: a modem or a router? If a comparison has to be made, the modem wins. A modem is always your main gateway to the Internet, whether it's a modem connected to the Internet via coax or fiber optic cable, or a modem on your smartphone.

Is modem router combo better?

The modem/router combination may be easier to configure. The combo has fewer moving parts, 1 less cable and 1 device to worry about. For the most part, the home combo box is pretty easy to use if you don't want to access your router's advanced settings.

:brown_circle: Is a router and a modem the same thing are good

Modems and routers are two different devices that work together to provide you with an Internet connection at home. Modems get an internet connection for your home, but wireless routers carry the Wi-Fi signal needed to connect various devices to the internet wirelessly.

Can I get Internet without a modem?

Yes, you can connect to the Internet without a modem if your ISP provides an Ethernet or Wi-Fi connection. Some local carriers simply use an Ethernet cable that you can plug into your system or connect to their wireless access points.

How do you ■■■■ up a wireless router?

How to connect a wifi router. First, connect the router to your system using a network cable. Connect one end of the cable to the port on the router labeled Internet / WAN / WLAN and the other end to the modem. Now connect another network cable from your computer to one of the Ethernet ports on the router.

:diamond_shape_with_a_dot_inside: How to install a new router?

• Check your internet connection. If you're connecting your router to an existing ISP modem or gateway, you probably already have a good idea of ​​how to do this.
  • Place the router. Be sure to read the accompanying documentation when unpacking your router. Note the stickers or
  • Connect to the power supply. After powering up, the router's LEDs should light up. Some blink or change color during the adjustment.
  • Connect to your internet source. Next, you need to connect your router to your internet source, be it a cable or DSL modem, or a similar ISP gateway.

:brown_circle: Can i use a router without a modem and internet

While it is true that without a built-in or separate modem and Internet service enabled, not only can you use a router to access the Internet, but you CAN use a router to transfer data between all the devices that are on that router on your home network. are connected. , one You have a shared internet connection.

Wifi cable modem router

:eight_spoked_asterisk: Can you connect a router to a wireless hotspot?

No, the router cannot be used to connect to an access point. Throughout its long history, a wireless router has actually been a type of wireless access point. A computer equipped with a WLAN card can connect to an access point, be it a WLAN router or a WLAN access point in an office or airport.

How do you connect a router to the Internet?

Wireless routers and routers allow you to use a broadband Internet connection with multiple devices. To do this, you need to connect your broadband modem to your router. For best results, place the router close to the modem. Connect your router and modem with an Ethernet cable.

:brown_circle: Can i use a router without a modem and cable

Can a router work without a modem? Yes, it is possible, but only to create and manage local networks between your local devices. You can use the router to connect and exchange data between your phone, computer, smart TV, printer, and smart home devices. However, the router itself does not establish an Internet connection.

:eight_spoked_asterisk: How do you set up a router without a modem?

Set up your wireless router without a cable modem:
Step 1 : Get an IP address. Open a command prompt and enter ipconfig. The default gateway contains the router's IP address.
Step 2 : Configure your wireless router. You need to connect your PC/laptop to the second port of the router via Ethernet.

:diamond_shape_with_a_dot_inside: Can a router work without a modem?

Can I work with a router without a modem? This question takes several forms: "Do you need a router and a modem?" "" Do I need a router to access the Internet? »Do I need a modem to access the Internet? "Etc. Can a router work without a modem? The simple answer is yes, it is possible.

Can I use a wireless router without a modem?

You can send files from one computer to another, cast videos stored on your phone to your TV or Chromecast, and print files with ease. What it doesn't do is connect to the internet. Of course this also works without a modem. The router establishes a WiFi connection with your devices and provides them with all IP addresses.

:brown_circle: Do I need a modem to connect to the Internet?

Do I need a modem to access the internet? "Etc. Can a router work without a modem? The simple answer is yes, it is possible. The router establishes a wireless connection between your devices and assigns IP addresses to each of them.

:brown_circle: Does a wireless router give you access to the Internet?

However, it does not give you access to the Internet, only a wireless network. All your devices can communicate with each other, and you can configure network services, such as printers and network drives, where all your devices can share a wireless connection. There is simply no internet.

:brown_circle: What is the difference between a wireless router and modem?

A wireless router is a device that connects to a modem. A modem is a device that connects directly to an Internet access point. If you need a fast internet connection, you need a wired internet connection.

:brown_circle: Can i use a router without a modem and phone

Can a router work without a modem? The simple answer is yes, it is possible. The router establishes a Wi-Fi connection between your devices and assigns IP addresses to each of them.

:brown_circle: Can i use a router without a modem and wireless

You can use a router without a modem to wirelessly transfer files or stream content between devices. However, you will need a modem and an Internet Service Provider (ISP) to access the Internet.

:diamond_shape_with_a_dot_inside: Can i use a router without a modem and password

Can I work with a router without a modem? The simple answer is yes, it is possible. The router establishes a Wi-Fi connection between your devices and assigns IP addresses to each of them.

Docsis 3.1 modem router combo

How to login to a router without knowing the password?

Hydra is a popular password cracking software that allows you to login to your router without knowing the password. All you need to do is download Hydra from its website and install it on your Linux or Windows computer. After installation, you can login to the router with the default URL, which requires HTTP Basic authentication.

Does buying a new modem increase internet speed?

Buying a new modem can provide a faster and more reliable Wi-Fi connection. This can also be the answer if you regularly fail. But that probably won't speed up your physical internet connection. A slow internet connection can also have other causes, such as the NBN speed level you are currently using.

:diamond_shape_with_a_dot_inside: How often should you replace your modem?

Since it's plugged in, it's unlikely you'll need to replace it more often than every 10 years. With WLAN routers (WLAN), changes are made slightly more frequently.

Do I need to replace my cable modem?

• When your current modem fails.
  • When upgrading to a faster internet rate.
  • When you switch to another cable ISP.
  • If your modem has security vulnerabilities or is vulnerable.
  • If you are using a faulty modem.
  • If you have internet problems related to your modem.

How to know when modem is bad?

• When will you know that your cable modem is defective?
  • It smells like burnt plastic.
  • Check the diagnosis.
  • Try to disconnect and reconnect.
  • Try a thread.
  • Look for billing errors or interruptions.
  • Connect to another place.
  • Change your cable modem.
  • Try new cables.
  • Try different devices.

Do i really need a new modem for faster internet

Yes, you will probably need to upgrade your 4 year old modem to a newer model that supports faster internet speed. Now that you have a modem, you need to replace it with a new one or rent it from Xfinity.

:diamond_shape_with_a_dot_inside: Can a VPN make your Internet connection faster?

No, connecting to a VPN will not increase your current internet speed. Please contact your ISP regarding this issue. If you use a VPN in this case, you will also see a significant drop in your connection speed. This is because your VPN connection is only causing connection problems.

:brown_circle: Do I need a modem for high speed internet?

High-speed Wi-Fi internet services do not require a modem, they can only connect to compatible devices. These wireless connections are mainly used by mobile devices such as smartphones or tablets, but more and more laptops, netbooks and e-readers are using wireless connections to access everywhere.

What is a router

Does a modem allow you to connect to the Internet?

Connecting to the Internet through a computer modem (56K modem) remains the way to access the Internet, despite the increasing use of high-speed Internet connections. While connecting to the Internet through a modem may be a cheaper solution, it is a much slower connection.

:diamond_shape_with_a_dot_inside: Do i really need a new modem to support

Any standard modem you find should be compatible. In some cases, a different modem may give better results, although this is usually the difference between achieving a certain speed on a longer line or being sensitive to noise on the line.

Do i really need a new modem or router

You may not need a new modem, but you will need an NBN compliant one. Many newer modems already support NBN, especially if it's an ISP-provided device, but this is not a guarantee; It is usually best to contact the reputable NBN provider when registering.

What is the best cable modem router?

Surfboard SBG7580AC is one of Arris' best WiFi routers and cable modems, based on the AC1750 integrated wireless DOCSIS 32x8 cable modem.

What is the fastest modem router?

If this is the case for you, check out the NETGEAR Nighthawk AC1900 Cable Modem and Router. NETGEAR Nighthawk AC1900 is a speed daemon that supports the fastest Internet offering (up to 960 Mbps) and can handle dual-band (GHz and 5 GHz) WLAN speeds.

:brown_circle: How to buy a router?

• Wi-Fi Standards - One of the first considerations when choosing the best Wi-Fi router is to research the wireless standard you use.
  • WiFi speed specifications.
  • Check your router's wired interfaces.
  • Compatibility with broadband service providers.
  • Security.
  • WiFi bands.
  • Router with MUMIMO.
  • Router antennas.
  • The complete set of the router.
  • Use it as an access point and repeater.

:diamond_shape_with_a_dot_inside: Do i really need a new modem for my computer

Depending on the exact length of several years, there may be very good reasons to upgrade your modem, or no reason at all. A quick answer: yes, there are some differences between old and new modems that may prompt you to upgrade, but you should do your homework first. Here's how to do it.

Do I need a modem or router for my Home Network?

All you need to do is learn how to configure and manage your home network from a single interface. Also, a device can be cheaper than buying a modem and router separately. Most modern cable and DSL providers offer firewalls as standard.

Do I need to buy a new modem?

In both cases described above, you may need to purchase a new modem. However, it's worth noting the difference between slow Wi-Fi (the speed of the connection within your home) and slow internet (the speed of the connection entering your home). Buying a new modem can provide a faster and more reliable Wi-Fi connection.

Do I need a new modem to connect to the NBN?

If you don't see anything like this on your modem, you probably need a new one to connect to the NBN. The exceptions are if you have an FTTP, HFC, wired Wi-Fi or NBN satellite connection. These connections require your own hardware, but no modem.

What is a cable modem and why do I need one?

Cable modems, the devices that provide Internet access in your home, are quickly forgotten because they require no major maintenance or electricity once installed. This is probably why so many people rent modems from their ISP.

:diamond_shape_with_a_dot_inside: Do i really need a new modem from comcast

Setting Up a Comcast Cable Modem Connect one end of the Ethernet link to the Ethernet port on your PC. Plug the other end into the Ethernet port on the back of your Comcast modem. Plug in your computer and turn it back on. Run the Comcast Cable Modem Installer from your web browser and follow the step-by-step instructions to easily complete the installation.

Computer router

:diamond_shape_with_a_dot_inside: What is the best modem for Comcast?

If you're looking for the best modem for Comcast, the MB8600 is your first choice. This is Comcast's best-approved DOCSIS modem for gigabit speeds.

How do I connect my router to Comcast?

Log in to Comcast Gateway. In the Connected devices section, find your router in the list. If the name isn't clear, check the MAC address, which is also on the router's label. Click on this device and you can change certain parameters (click on "Change").

How to connect my Xfinity modem?

• Install a gateway or modem Find a central cable connection in the house.
  • Gateway connection Plug the power cord into the back of the gateway and then into a power outlet.
  • Wait for your gateway or modem to be ready. It may take up to 10 minutes for the gateway or modem to be ready for activation.
  • Establishing a temporary connection to the Internet Next, you need to establish a connection to the Internet using Wi-Fi or an Ethernet cable.
  • Activate your gateway or modem. If you have a temporary internet connection and you don't automatically see the welcome message to start the installation, open your web browser and go to
  • Home network connection. Once activated, connect the devices with your home Wi-Fi name and password, if your gateway or modem supports a wireless connection.

:brown_circle: Do i really need a new modem from spectrum

A small percentage of current Spectrum Internet customers require a new modem, available at no additional cost, for maximum speed. Spectrum contacts customers who need a new modem and tells them how to get an updated device. Visit or for more information about Spectrum Internet.

Connect router to modem

What is the best modem for Spectrum cable?

The first competitor is the Motorola MG7550, which in his opinion is one of the best spectrum modems out there. It is a DOCSIS 16x4 cable modem with many features to improve the user experience. It is a two-in-one package that acts as both a modem and a router.

:brown_circle: Is Orbi compatible with spectrum?

Easy setup with the Orbi app allows you to create a guest network, access parental controls, and run speed tests right from the app. Compatible with all major Xfinity ISPs from Comcast, Spectrum, ■■■, etc. It does not support Gigabit services.

:eight_spoked_asterisk: How to set up spectrum WiFi?

• Connect one end of the supplied coaxial cable to the modem and the other end to a power outlet.
  • Connect one of the power cables to the modem and wait for it to connect. This can take up to five minutes.
  • Connect the included Ethernet cable to your wireless router and modem.
  • Plug another power cord into the router and let it turn on. The first launch can take up to 10 minutes.
  • Connect your computer to the new Spectrum WiFi network. You can find your network name and password on the back of your router or on the supplied stickers.

:eight_spoked_asterisk: How to install Spectrum Internet?

• We take a coaxial cable. Connect one end to a cable outlet and the other end to your cable modem.
  • Plug the power cord into the modem and the other end into a power outlet.
  • Wait a few minutes for the modem to start (this can take up to five minutes).
  • Find an Ethernet cable and connect it between your modem and your wireless router. Take a second power cord and plug it from the wireless router into a power outlet.
  • Wait for the WiFi status light to turn green and you're done.

:eight_spoked_asterisk: Does a WiFi router increase the internet speed?

• Place your wireless router or gateway in an open space in the center of your home.
  • Adjust your router settings for optimal performance.
  • For the best WiFi experience, consider a new WiFi router and PC that supports 5GHz (WiFi 6) with the latest Intel WiFi 6 (Gig+) technology.

:diamond_shape_with_a_dot_inside: How does a modem affect internet speed?

When it comes to your network speed, your modem is just one of many components that work together to provide an Internet connection for your laptop or desktop. Your modem certainly affects your overall internet speed, but not necessarily the determinant of your connection speed.

Do old modems affect your Internet speed?

This is a serious problem, as this old, outdated modem often slows down your Internet connection at speeds that are often well below the speed you should be enjoying. And if you're wondering, the speed loss from an outdated modem can be quite significant.

:diamond_shape_with_a_dot_inside: Is a modem and a router the same thing?

There are many differences between modems and routers. The main difference between a modem and a router is that a modem means a device that modulates signals to encode digital information and demodulates signals to decode transmitted information. On the other hand, a router is a network device that transfers data packets between computer networks.

Does the router require a modem or router

Every Wi-Fi network needs a modem and router to manage device connections and transfer signals from one device to another. Without a router you will not have access to the correct internet connection. So make sure to buy the best router models that fit your needs.

Does the router require a modem good

Yes, a router needs a modem for internet, because the modem converts your ISP's internet signal into data that your router and connected devices can understand. Most cable Internet connections rely on one of two types of cables already installed in your home or office: telephones and cable television.

:brown_circle: Does the router require a modem name

Yes, you need a modem if you have a router. The modem can be used to access the Internet through your ISP. In other words, you cannot connect to the Internet without it.

:brown_circle: Does a router need to be connected to a modem?

To distribute the internet connection between your devices, a router must be connected to the modem. This means you don't need a separate modem or router when setting up your internet connection at home. Today there are devices that have the functions of a modem and a router.

:eight_spoked_asterisk: How many ports does a modem have?

Most modems have only three ports: one for the Internet, one for the router, and one for the power supply. Older modems connect to the Internet through telephone lines, while newer modems use cable or fiber-optic connections. Modems also have at least one Ethernet port to connect to a router or computer.

What is a combination modem and router?

Routers and modems are traditionally two separate devices that make up your home network. Using modern technology, the new combined modem and router combines the functions of both devices into one powerful device.

:diamond_shape_with_a_dot_inside: How does a router connect to other devices?

Routers allow your devices to connect to the Internet. The router connects your devices to each other and, in the case of wired configurations, to the modem. The router connects to your modem and then to your devices (laptops, smart TVs, printers, etc.) via an Ethernet cable or, in the case of a Wi-Fi router, via a Wi-Fi signal.

Does the router require a modem password

Do you want a WiFi password or a connection to the router? The Wi-Fi password is the password that devices can use to connect to the wireless network created by the router. This is the router's default Wi-Fi password or the password you assigned to the router during setup.

:eight_spoked_asterisk: Do I need a modem and a router?

So while you need the power of a modem and router for all your internet use, it might not take up two spots on your shelf. So next time you're wondering if I need a modem and router, talk to your ISP about the best possible connection to your home network.

:eight_spoked_asterisk: How to change the password on the modem or router?

Change the password on the modem. To perform both operations, you need to go to the management panel of the router or modem, where you can manage all device and network settings and change their settings. Although this is a simple procedure in theory, several difficulties and problems can arise.

What are the default login details for the modem/router?

By default, the modem/router does not ask for connection information. If a user ID and password are required, the default is as follows: user ID = admin, password = password.

Does the router require a modem license

As mentioned earlier, a modem can provide Internet access with or without a router. However, to get the most out of your internet connection, you need a router. The average family in Canada and the United States has about 8 devices that need to be connected to the Internet.

Wifi modem router combo

What is the difference between a modem and a router?

Modem Router Connection - A modem connects your computer directly to the Internet. However, if you connect more than one device, the router acts as a connection between the modem and your computer, sharing the Internet between them. To decode the signal: If you want to collect data from the Internet, you definitely need a modem and a router.

:eight_spoked_asterisk: Do I need a modem router to connect to the NBN?

Whether you need a modem router or a separate router depends on how you connect to the NBN. In some cases, the equipment supplied by NBN Co will act as your modem, so all you need is a router. If you need a modem router to connect to NBN, you should look for a VDSL modem router.

Do I need an ISP or a router for home internet?

If you need an internet connection, you need an internet service provider. If your ISP only gives you one or two IPv4 addresses and you need more, you're probably using a home router with a NAT and DHCP server. You can buy a router that also has a Wi-Fi access point in the same box that connects to an upstream ISP via Ethernet.

:diamond_shape_with_a_dot_inside: Do you need a modem with a router or router?

When you need it: As mentioned above, if you need something on the Internet and you work on a lot of devices, you need a modem and a router. When you don't need it: If you don't need the Internet, but the connection between your devices and your computer, you don't need a modem, just a router.

Dial Up Internet Sound

What type of modem router do I need for NBN?

If you need a modem router to connect to NBN, you should look for a VDSL modem router. The good news is that the vast majority of modem routers sold in Australia are VDSL. If your provider includes a modem in its tariff, the equipment must match your connection type.

How does a router bring all devices together?

Find out how a router connects all the devices in your home or office. A router is a computing device that sits between your modem and connected devices and transmits the Internet and local data between them. It can be a separate device that connects to your modem with a single Ethernet cable, or it can be a separate hybrid modem/router.

What is the best modem for WiFi?

• Netgear CM700 cable modem. The best Google WiFi modem on the market today is the Netgear CM700.
  • Motorola MB7621 cable modem. The Motorola MB7621 is the perfect Google WiFi modem for a small budget.
  • Netgear Nighthawk CM1200 modem.
  • ARRIS SURFboard SB6190 cable modem.
  • Motorola MB7420 cable modem.

Do you need a router if you have WiFi?

You need a router to connect to WiFi. But you don't need WiFi for the iPhone. You could connect to Wi-Fi for a better connection, but otherwise iPhone usually has its own Wi-Fi, depending on your carrier's credentials. And if you have a WiFi network, then you have a router.

How to set up wifi router

:eight_spoked_asterisk: How can I enable my WiFi modem?

• Connect a device, such as from a computer or tablet, connect to the Internet via Wi-Fi, or use an Ethernet cable connected to a modem.
  • Open your web browser and enter the web address field.
  • Log in to your modem's configuration interface (graphic modem interface) with your administrator username and password.
  • Select Wireless Settings.

Is a modem required to use a wireless router?

Although they perform similar functions and sometimes even reside in the same physical block, modems and routers are separate devices that perform different functions. For the best internet connection and security, you should use a modem and a router, although technically only one modem is needed.

:diamond_shape_with_a_dot_inside: Do I need to buy my own modem?

Conclusion: you really should buy your own modem. So far, the top pick on the gadget selection page is the $90 Wirecutter from Arris/Motorola. Just return the old one (or let TaskRabbit do it for you) and call your cable TV provider to make sure the new one is properly activated.

Can I use my router without modem?

Use a router without a modem. Yes, you can use your modem for its functions only, connect your router's WAN port to one of the modem's LAN ports and use your router for everything else.

do you need a modem and a router