Definition of Depressant:
(chiefly of a drug) reducing functional or nervous activity.
A depressant drug.
Substance that reduces or obstructs a normal bodily activity, function, or an instinctive desire such as appetite for food.
Synonyms of Depressant
Sedative, Tranquillizer, Calmative, Sleeping pill, Soporific, Opiate, Hypnotic, Amytal, Amytal pill, Demerol, Dial, Dolophine, H, Luminal, Luminal pill, M, Mickey Finn, Nembutal, Nembutal pill, Seconal, Seconal pill, Sulfonal, Trional, Tuinal, Tuinal pill, Alcohol, Amobarbital sodium, Analgesic, Anodyne, Barb, Barbital, Barbiturate, Barbiturate pill, Barbituric acid, Belladonna, Black, Black stuff, Bleak, Blue, Blue angel, Blue devil, Blue heaven, Blue velvet, Bromide, Calmative, Cheerless, Chloral hydrate, Codeine, Codeine cough syrup, Depressing, Depressive, Depressor, Dismal, Dispiriting, Dolly, Downer, Dreary, Goofball, Hard stuff, Heroin, Hop, Horse, Hyoscyamine, Hypnotic, Junk, Knockout drops, Laudanum, Liquor, Lotus, Meperidine, Methadone, Morphia, Morphine, Narcotic, Opiate, Opium, Oppressive, Pacifier, Pain killer, Paraldehyde, Pentobarbital, Phenobarbital, Phenobarbital sodium, Purple heart, Quietener, Rainbow, Red, Reserpine, Scag, Scopolamine, Secobarbital sodium, Sedative, Shit, Sleep-inducer, Sleeper, Sleeping draught, Sleeping pill, Smack, Sodium bromide, Sodium thiopental, Somnifacient, Soother, Soothing syrup, Soporific, Tar, Thalidomide, Tranquilizer, Turps, White stuff, Yellow, Yellow jacket, Tranquillizing, Calming, Depressant, Soothing, Calmative, Relaxing, Soporific
How to use Depressant in a sentence?
- I had my doctor change my medication to something other than a depressant because I was so tired I couldnt even go to work. I also lost weight because I didnt have an appetite.
- I have been really sad lately and I am wondering if I might need some kind of depressant medication to ease the pain.
- It is also necessary to exclude reversible causes of failure of brain function, including depressant drugs and hypothermia.
- Phenothiazines, tricyclic antidepressants, and CNS depressants may potentiate the therapeutic and adverse effects of opioids.
- Its important to not drink when taking many medications as alcohol acts as a depressant and can be a dangerous combination to many drugs.
Meaning of Depressant & Depressant Definition