Define

Define,

Definition of Define:

1. State or describe exactly the nature, scope, or meaning of.

2. Mark out the boundary or limits of.

3. To set boundaries or specifications with the intention to make the defined item stand out among and separate from others, and thus to avoid confusion, conflict, or overlapping. See also definition and prescribe.

Synonyms of Define

Assign, Baptize, Be characteristic, Bed, Blaze, Blaze a trail, Blemish, Blotch, Bound, Brand, Call, Chalk, Chalk up, Characterize, Check, Check off, Christen, Cicatrize, Circle in, Circumscribe, Clarify, Confirm, Construe, Dapple, Dash, Deep-dye, Delimit, Delimitate, Delineate, Demarcate, Denominate, Describe, Designate, Detail, Determine, Diagnose, Differentiate, Discolor, Distinguish, Dot, Dub, Earmark, Edge, Embed, Enclose, Engraft, Engrave, Entitle, Entrench, Establish, Etch, Explain, Expound, Fix, Fleck, Found, Freckle, Gash, Ground, Hatch, Hem, Identify, Impact, Implant, Impress, Imprint, Infix, Ingrain, Inscribe, Interpret, Jam, Keynote, Label, Lay down, Lay off, Limit, Line, Lodge, Make a mark, Margin, Mark, Mark boundaries, Mark off, Mark out, Mark the periphery, Mottle, Name, Nick, Nickname, Nominate, Notch, Outline, Pack, Pencil, Pepper, Plant, Point, Prick, Print, Punch, Punctuate, Puncture, Read, Read into, Riddle, Rim, Root, Rope off, Scar, Scarify, Score, Scotch, Scratch, Seal, Seam, Seat, Set, Set apart, Set down, Set in, Set the limit, Set the pace, Set the tone, Settle, Skirt, Sound the keynote, Specify, Speck, Speckle, Spell out, Splotch, Spot, Stain, Stake out, Stamp, State, Stereotype, Stigmatize, Streak, Striate, Stripe, Style, Surround, Tag, Take, Take it that, Take to mean, Tattoo, Term, Tick, Tick off, Title, Trace, Underline, Underscore, Understand, Understand by, Verge, Wedge, Explain, Expound, Interpret, Elucidate, Explicate, Describe, Clarify, Determine, Establish, Fix, Specify, Designate, Decide, Stipulate, Settle, Set out, Mark out, Mark off

How to use Define in a sentence?

1. I had to find a way to define the differences between the two shades of gray that we had to work with while painting the buyers house.
  2. Whenever I try something new I liked to have people define all the rules so that I know I am doing everything the correct way.
  3. The contract will seek to define the clients obligations.
  4. Parents have to define what children can and cannot do while they are away so nothing bad happens while they are away and the children do not hurt themselves or break anything.
  5. The river defines the parks boundary.

Meaning of Define & Define Definition