Definition of Deficit:
In a deficit, the total of negative amounts is greater than the total of positive amounts. In other words, the outflow of money exceeds the inflow of funds. A deficit can occur when a government, company, or individual spends more than is received in a given period, usually a year.
The amount by which something, especially a sum of money, is too small.
A deficit is an amount by which a resource, especially money, falls short of what is required. A deficit occurs when expenses exceed revenues, imports exceed exports, or liabilities exceed assets. A deficit is synonymous with shortfall or loss and is the opposite of a surplus.
Excess of expenses over income or liabilities over assets.
Synonyms of Deficit
Absence, Arrear, Arrearage, Arrears, Back debts, Back payments, Balance, Beggary, Bouncing check, Break, Credit, Decline, Defalcation, Default, Defect, Defectiveness, Deferred payments, Deficiency, Deficit financing, Delinquency, Deprivation, Destitution, Difference, Discontinuity, Discrepancy, Dollar gap, Drought, Epact, Failure, Falling short, Famine, Gap, Hiatus, Imperfection, Impoverishment, Inadequacy, Incompleteness, Inferiority, Insufficiency, Interval, Lack, Lacuna, Loss, Missing link, Need, Net, Omission, Outage, Overdraft, Remainder, Scantiness, Short measure, Shortage, Shortcoming, Shortfall, Slump, Starvation, Surplus, Ullage, Underage, Want, Wantage, Shortfall, Deficiency, Shortage, Undersupply, Slippage
How to use Deficit in a sentence?
- A deficit occurs when a resource, money, in particular, is less than the amount required.
- The CEOs reckless spending on projects that were not approved by the board of directors led to a serious budget deficit and ultimately cost him the job.
- The fund will absorb the deficit in the Rover pension scheme, which officially stands at £67.6m.
- A deficit adds to one's debt, which most do not consider financially healthy.
- After 10 years of financial struggle, the small accounting firm was able to make enough money to cover their deficit .
- If your company does not perform well you may actually run at a deficit instead of turning a profit and thats not good.
- A budget deficit and a trade deficit are the two main types of deficits.
Meaning of Deficit & Deficit Definition