Culture shock

Culture shock,

Definition of Culture shock:

1. The feeling of disorientation experienced by someone who is suddenly subjected to an unfamiliar culture, way of life, or set of attitudes.

2. Culture shock is the feeling of uncertainty, confusion, or anxiety that people experience when visiting, doing business in, or living in a society that is different from their own. Social norms can vary significantly across countries and regions. Culture shock can arise from an individual's unfamiliarity with local customs, language, and acceptable behavior.

3. Sense of confusion, discomfort, disorientation, and uncertainty felt by those exposed to a different cultural environment.

4. Culture shock can be daunting for those who do business abroad. Many international companies provide training to help acclimatize employees and reduce cultural gaffes, which can affect professional transactions, operations, and relationships.

How to use Culture shock in a sentence?

1. When I lived with my girlfriend in the Cuban section of South Miami, I experienced culture shock when I found that almost nobody there spoke English.
  2. While time is the best antidote for culture shock, people can take proactive steps to alleviate it as well.
  3. Those experiencing culture shock go through distinct phases of euphoria, discomfort, adjustment, and acceptance.
  4. Some times when people move to new areas or countries they may experience a culture shock and want to be familiarized with the environment.
  5. Culture shock is a sense of anxiety, depression, or confusion that results from being cut off from your familiar culture, environment, and norms when living in a foreign country or society.
  6. Jet lag, culture shock, altitude sickness; we struggle to get to grips with this, our first morning in South America.
  7. Due to travelling to a country much different than hers, Ellen experience a great deal of culture shock during her trip to Japan.

Meaning of Culture shock & Culture shock Definition