Definition of Controlling:
Determine the behaviour or supervise the running of.
A person or thing used as a standard of comparison for checking the results of a survey or experiment.
The basic management function of (1) establishing benchmarks or standards, (2) comparing actual performance against them, and (3) taking corrective action, if required.
Take into account (an extraneous factor that might affect the results of an experiment).
The power to influence or direct peoples behaviour or the course of events.
A high card that will prevent the opponents from establishing a particular suit.
A member of an intelligence organization who personally directs the activities of a spy.
Synonyms of Controlling
Standard of comparison, Benchmark, Standard, Check, Absolute, All-absorbing, Ascendant, At the head, Authoritarian, Authoritative, Authorized, Autocratic, Boss, Capital, Cardinal, Chief, Clothed with authority, Commanding, Competent, Consequential, Considerable, Directing, Directive, Directorial, Directory, Dominant, Duly constituted, Eminent, Empowered, Ex officio, Foremost, General, Governing, Great, Guiding, Head, Hegemonic, Hegemonistic, Highest, Imperative, Important, In ascendancy, In charge, In chief, In the ascendant, Influential, Leading, Main, Managerial, Managing, Master, Mighty, Momentous, Monocratic, Official, Overriding, Overruling, Paramount, Potent, Powerful, Predominant, Predominate, Preeminent, Premier, Prepollent, Preponderant, Preponderate, Prepotent, Prestigious, Prevalent, Primary, Prime, Principal, Prominent, Puissant, Ranking, Regnant, Regulating, Regulative, Regulatory, Reigning, Ruling, Senior, Sovereign, Substantial, Superior, Supreme, Topmost, Totalitarian, Uppermost, Weighty, Jurisdiction, Sway, Power, Authority, Command, Dominance, Domination, Government, Mastery, Leadership, Rule, Reign, Sovereignty, Supremacy, Ascendancy, Predominance, Hegemony, Be in charge of, Run, Be in control of, Manage, Direct, Administer, Head, Preside over, Have authority over, Supervise, Superintend, Oversee, Guide, Steer
How to use Controlling in a sentence?
- The controlling arm of the business functioned helped insure high quality of work output which was an important factor in our success.
- If you want your workers to be able to handle all their duties try and not be to controlling so that they can grow on their own.
- Since the dog was stronger than me, I had lots of trouble controlling him after the lease broke on our walk.
- He was appointed to control the companys marketing strategy.
- Platelet activity was higher in patients with the disease than in the controls.
- No attempt was made to control for variations.
- He sat with his KGB control as the details of his new assignment were explained.
- The whole operation is under the control of a production manager.
Meaning of Controlling & Controlling Definition