Chief information officer (CIO),
Definition of Chief information officer (CIO):
Executive responsible for development, implementation, and operation of a firms information technology policy. He or she oversees all information systems infrastructure within the organization, and is responsible for establishing information related standards to facilitate management control over all corporate resources.
The role of CIO has changed over the decades. In the 1980s, the position was more technical as companies maintained their internal computers, databases, and communications networks. In the 2010s, thanks to cloud computing, wireless communications, big-data analytics, and mobile devices, CIOs develop strategies and computer systems that keep businesses competitive in a fast-changing global marketplace. One major responsibility of a contemporary CIO is to predict the future of computer technology trends that give a business an advantage over others. The day-to-day operations of maintaining a computer system generally fall on a person known as a chief operating officer of IT.
A chief information officer (CIO) is the company executive responsible for the management, implementation, and usability of information and computer technologies. Because technology is increasing and reshaping industries globally, the role of the CIO has increased in popularity and importance. The CIO analyzes how various technologies benefit the company or improve an existing business process and then integrates a system to realize that benefit or improvement.
How to use Chief information officer (CIO) in a sentence?
- The software engineer reported the bug to the chief information officer who then took the servers down to repair the problem.
- As technology becomes more sophisticated and expands globally, the role of a CIO has increased in popularity and importance.
- A CIO must be agile, responding quickly to trends, changes, and the needs of the organization, its people, and those it serves.
- You may want to have a chief information officer that you can rely on always trying to find things out for you.
- We had to talk to the chief information officer and that made us all nervous because we did not know who he was.
- A CIO is a high-ranking executive responsible for managing and successfully implementing the information and computer technology systems of a company.
- A CIO is typically required to have at least a Bachelor's degree in a technology-related field.
Meaning of Chief information officer (CIO) & Chief information officer (CIO) Definition