Definition of Bumping:
(in an online forum) post on (an inactive thread) in order to move it to the top of the list of active threads.
Move or travel with much jolting.
(in an online forum) an act of posting on an inactive thread in order to move it to the top of the list of active threads.
A protuberance on a level surface.
A light blow or a jolting collision.
A loosely woven fleeced cotton fabric used in upholstery and as lining material.
Refuse (a passenger) a reserved place on a flight because of deliberate overbooking by the airline.
Denial of seats to passengers with confirmed tickets for an overbooked flight. As a general (and legal) practice, airlines issue more tickets than available-seats to prevent losses due to no-show passengers. Bumped passengers are usually offered a higher booking class (first class instead of economy, for example) on a next flight, vouchers for cash or tickets for future travel, and/or hotel accommodation (as detailed in the carriers contract of carriage). Air cargo and luggage too is bumped as airlines prefer to carry passengers (if available) than goods because, pound for pound, fares bring in more revenue than freight. Shipping and trucking companies bump low freight-rate cargo for the high freight-rate one.
Knock or run into someone or something with a jolt.
Synonyms of Bumping
Hump, Bulge, Lump, Knob, Knot, Projection, Prominence, Eminence, Ridge, Protuberance, Hit, Ram, Bang, Bang into, Collide with, Be in collision with, Strike, Knock, Knock into, Knock against, Crash against, Crash into, Smash into, Slam into, Crack against, Crack into, Dash against, Run into, Plough into, Bounce, Jolt, Jerk, Rattle, Shake, Jounce, Jolt, Collision, Crash, Smash, Smack, Crack, Thwack, Bang, Thud, Thump, Buffet, Knock, Rap, Tap, Impact
How to use Bumping in a sentence?
- Bumps in the road.
- Bumping did occur on the flight and since we flew coach we were the unlucky passengers whose flight was effectively delayed.
- Im giving this thread a well-deserved bump.
- If no one responds after 24 hours, you can bump your thread.
- Looking ahead, Valentini says shes exploring other uses for her Bump fabric, possibly as an industrial upholstery or wall covering.
- One look at the twisting, seemingly endless line to the airline ticket counter, and the passenger knew, even before he got to the top of the line, that he would be one of a number of bumped passengers, although in this case he did not mind the bumping , and actually enjoyed his delayed trip home in first class.
- I almost bumped into him.
- The car bumped along the rutted track.
- Sometimes you may have to be the one that gets the bumping and this may cause you to miss an important meeting after you miss the flight.
- If you check in on time and are bumped, you will be entitled to a full refund.
- A nasty bump on the head.
Meaning of Bumping & Bumping Definition