Definition of Broadband:
Today, discussion of broadband often centers on its use to provide high-speed Internet access. Historically, broadband Internet was defined as being faster than traditional dial-up internet connection. However, it is now common for more precise definitions to be required. For instance, the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) ruled in 2015 that, in order to be considered broadband Internet, the service must offer download and upload speeds of at least 25 and 3 megabits, respectively.
Broadband refers to various high-capacity transmission technologies that are used to transmit data, voice, and video across long distances and at high speeds. Common mediums of transmission include coaxial cable, fiber optic cable, and radio waves.
A high-capacity transmission technique using a wide range of frequencies, which enables a large number of messages to be communicated simultaneously.
Digital communication technology in which (in contrast to baseband) the bandwidth (data carrying capacity) of a single medium such as a wire, cable, or channel is divided into several independent pathways. Using techniques such as frequency division multiplexing, broadband enables fast (45 Megabits per second or more) and simultaneous transmission of different signals (data, audio, video), and interconnection of different devices on a network.
How to use Broadband in a sentence?
- Today, the availability of broadband is highly concentrated in a small number of developed countries. However, new innovations in satellite-based broadband services could potentially broaden the scope of access throughout the world.
- The term broadband is used to describe high-speed and high-bandwidth communication infrastructure.
- Despite broadband being the dominant choice of medium for the internet, many places in the world today still use dial-up, mostly in remote areas.
- It is commonly used in relation to high-speed Internet services, which have become increasingly important both to consumers and governments.
- Our ability to uplink on broadband has been curtailed.
- I have to call IT support after lunch to fix my broadband connection because my internet is running very slow.
- I have had broadband internet for years now but my friend that lives up north still doesnt know when it will be available for him.
Meaning of Broadband & Broadband Definition