Definition of Backlog:
A backlog is a buildup of work that needs to be completed. The term "backlog" has a number of uses in accounting and finance. It may, for example, refer to a company's sales orders waiting to be filled or a stack of financial paperwork, such as loan applications, that needs to be processed.
Value of unfulfilled orders, or the number of unprocessed jobs, on a given day. While a backlog indicates the workload that is beyond the production capacity of a department or firm, it also serves as a pointer toward the firms future sales revenue and earnings. Also called open order.
When a public company has a backlog, there can be implications for shareholders because the backlog may have an impact on the company's future earnings, as having a backlog could suggest the firm is unable to meet demand.
Synonyms of Backlog
Abundance, Accumulation, Amassment, Bavin, Brush, Brushwood, Budget, Cache, Collection, Commissariat, Commissary, Cornucopia, Cumulation, Dump, Fagot, Firewood, Heap, Hoard, Inventory, Kindling, Kindlings, Larder, Log, Mass, Material, Materials, Materiel, Munitions, Nest egg, Pile, Plenitude, Plenty, Provisionment, Provisions, Rations, Repertoire, Repertory, Reserve, Reserve fund, Reserve supply, Reserves, Reservoir, Resource, Rick, Savings, Sinking fund, Something in reserve, Stack, Stock, Stock-in-trade, Stockpile, Store, Stores, Stovewood, Supplies, Supply on hand, Treasure, Treasury, Unexpended balance, Wood, Yule clog, Yule log
How to use Backlog in a sentence?
- The presence of a backlog can have positive or negative implications depending on the specific situation.
- Backlogs may have an impact on a company's future earnings, as having a backlog could suggest the firm is unable to meet demand.
- There was a backlog so Judy had to stay late to finish the portfolio since it was the end of the month.
- She had a day off, so she decided to relax by working on her backlog of unwatched anime DVDs that had been piling up.
- An existing workload that exceeds current production capacity is a backlog.
- The term "backlog" refers to a buildup of work that has not been completed in a timely fashion.
- We believe that a fund is needed to attract scientists and researchers in order to catch up with the enormous backlog of need.
Meaning of Backlog & Backlog Definition