Definition of Anomaly:
Something that deviates from what is standard, normal, or expected.
Market anomalies are distortions in returns that contradict the efficient market hypothesis (EMH). Pricing anomalies are when something, for example a stock, is priced differently to how a model predicts it will be priced.
Medicine: a physical defect or abnormality.
In economics and finance, an anomaly is when the actual result under a given set of assumptions is different from the expected result predicted by a model. An anomaly provides evidence that a given assumption or model does not hold up in practice. The model can either be a relatively new or older model. In finance, two common types of anomalies are market anomalies and pricing anomalies.
The angular distance of a planet or satellite from its last perihelion or perigee.
Deviation from the norm; something unusual. Bob searched the data for anomalies that would indicate that there was an error with the system..
Synonyms of Anomaly
Aberrance, Aberrancy, Aberration, Abnormality, Abnormity, Amorphism, Anomalism, Anomalousness, Conceit, Conversation piece, Crackpotism, Crank, Crankiness, Crankism, Crosspatch, Crotchet, Crotchetiness, Curio, Curiosity, Derangement, Deviancy, Deviation, Difference, Differentness, Divergence, Dottiness, Eccentricity, Erraticism, Erraticness, Exception, Freak, Freakiness, Freakishness, Heteromorphism, Idiocrasy, Idiosyncrasy, Improbability, Impropriety, Inadmissibility, Inapplicability, Inappositeness, Inappropriateness, Inaptitude, Inaptness, Individualist, Infelicity, Inferiority, Inner-directed person, Irregularity, Irrelevance, Irrelevancy, Kink, Maggot, Maladjustment, Mannerism, Mesalliance, Misalliance, Misfit, Misjoinder, Misjoining, Mismatch, Monstrosity, Museum piece, Naysayer, Nonconformist, Nonconformity, Nonesuch, Oddball, Oddity, Peculiarity, Prodigiosity, Prodigy, Queerness, Quip, Quirk, Quirkiness, Rarity, Singularity, Sport, Strange thing, Strangeness, Subnormality, Superiority, Teratism, Trick, Twist, Uncongeniality, Unconventionality, Unfitness, Unnaturalism, Unnaturalness, Unsuitability, Whim, Whimsicality, Whimsy, Oddity, Peculiarity, Abnormality, Irregularity, Inconsistency, Incongruity, Deviation, Aberration, Quirk, Freak, Exception, Departure, Divergence, Variation
How to use Anomaly in a sentence?
- Anomalies are occurrences that deviate from the predictions of economic or financial models that undermine those models' core assumptions.
- Most market anomalies are psychologically driven.
- He thought that making the shot was an anomaly , but it turned out that he was actually pretty good at basketball.
- In markets, patterns that contradict the efficient market hypothesis like calendar effects are prime examples of anomalies.
- There are a number of anomalies in the present system.
- Such processing efforts have led to determinations of satellite magnetic anomalies of the Earth.
- Anomalies, however, tend to quickly disappear once knowledge about them has been made public.
- Daves doctor told him that he was a medical anomaly because the tumor shrunk on its own, and they no longer needed to do radiation.
Meaning of Anomaly & Anomaly Definition