Allowance

Allowance,

Definition of Allowance:

1. Manufacturing: Acceptable increment or wastage included when estimating time or material for a production or other process.

2. Accounting: (1) Tax-free amount (such as traveling allowance) subtracted from an income to arrive at taxable income. See also deduction. (2) Amount paid to employees as part of their salary package, or to defray their out of pocket expenses incurred on behalf of the firm. (3) Amount deducted from an invoice as an incentive for a large order, or to compensate the buyer for an expense or mistake.

3. The amount of something that is permitted, especially within a set of regulations or for a specified purpose.

4. Give (someone) a sum of money regularly as an allowance.

Synonyms of Allowance

C ration, K ration, OK, Abatement, Acceptance, Account, Acknowledgment, Adjustment, Admission, Agio, Aid, Alimony, Allocation, Allotment, Allowing, Annuity, Apportionment, Appreciation, Appropriation, Approximation, Assessment, Assignment, Assistance, Authorization, Avowal, Bank discount, Big end, Bigger half, Bill, Bit, Bite, Blackmail, Blood money, Board, Bounty, Breakage, Budget, Bulge, Cash discount, Cession, Chain discount, Charge-off, Charter, Chunk, Circumscription, Color, Commission, Commons, Concession, Confession, Consent, Consideration, Contingent, Countenance, Credit, Cut, Deadwood, Deal, Declaration, Decontamination, Deduction, Depletion allowance, Depreciation, Destiny, Deviation, Discount, Dispensation, Dividend, Dole, Drawback, Edge, Emergency rations, Emolument, End, Equal share, Exception, Excuses, Exemption, Extenuating circumstances, Extenuation, Extenuative, Fate, Favor, Fee, Fellowship, Field rations, Financial assistance, Footing, Gilding, Gloss, Grain of salt, Grant, Grant-in-aid, Guaranteed annual income, Half, Halver, Handicap, Head start, Hedge, Hedging, Help, Helping, Hush money, Imprecision, Inaccuracy, Inaccurateness, Incorrectness, Indulgence, Inexactitude, Inexactness, Initiation fee, Interest, Kickback, Laxity, Leave, Liberty, License, Limitation, Looseness, Lot, Meals, Measure, Meed, Mental reservation, Mess, Mileage, Mitigation, Modicum, Modification, Moiety, Negligence, Odds, Okay, Old-age insurance, Overhand, Palliation, Palliative, Part, Patent, Payment, Pecuniary aid, Penalty, Penalty clause, Pension, Percentage, Permission, Permission to enter, Permit, Permitting, Piece, Pin money, Pocket money, Portion, Predictable error, Premium, Price reduction, Price support, Price-cut, Probable error, Profession, Proportion, Public assistance, Public welfare, Qualification, Quantum, Quota, Rake-off, Ration, Rations, Rebate, Rebatement, Reckoning, Recognition, Recompense, Reduction, Refund, Reimbursement, Release, Relief, Remittance, Remuneration, Reservation, Restriction, Retainer, Retaining fee, Retirement benefits, Rollback, Salvage, Salvo, Sanction, Sanctioning, Scholarship, Scot, Segment, Setoff, Share, Short commons, Slice, Small share, Softening, Special case, Special permission, Special treatment, Specialness, Specification, Stake, Standard deviation, Start, Stipend, Stock, Subsidization, Subsidy, Subvention, Sufferance, Suffering, Support, Tare, Tax benefit, Ticket, Ticket of admission, Time discount, Tolerance, Tolerating, Toleration, Trade discount, Tret, Tribute, Tucker, Uncorrectness, Underselling, Unfactualness, Unpreciseness, Unrigorousness, Vantage, Varnish, Vouchsafement, Waiver, Welfare, Welfare aid, Welfare payments, Whitewash, Whitewashing, Write-off

How to use Allowance in a sentence?

1. A seventy-five-pound baggage allowance.
  2. My dad told me that I had to mow the lawn, or they would cancel my allowance and I would not be able to hang out with my friends anymore.
  3. You may get an allowance when you take a business trip but you will need to keep good records of all that you spend.
  4. She spoke of getting travel allowanced but this depended on the social worker who had been assigned and they are not allowed leave their accommodation for more than three days.
  5. The allowance was exactly what we had hoped for as this made our budget work and go according to plan.

Meaning of Allowance & Allowance Definition