Definition of Affluenza:
Social condition that affects a society because of the elevated number of individuals striving to be wealthy. People within the society feel that the only measure of success is determined by how much money and prestige a person has.
"Affluenza" is a social condition that arises from the desire to be more wealthy or successful. It can also be defined as the inability for an individual to understand the consequences of their actions because of their social status and/or financial privilege.
The word affluenza is a combination of the words "affluence" and "influenza." It is a symptom of a culture with strong materialistic values, where the accumulation of riches is considered one of the highest achievements. People said to be impacted by this condition typically find the economic success they've been pursuing in a singleminded way leaves them feeling unfulfilled once they've achieved. They live in a constant state of dissatisfaction because they always want more than what they already have.
A social theory claiming that individuals with very privileged and wealthy backgrounds sometimes struggle to determine the difference between right and wrong due to the nature of their upbringing. Also known as sudden-wealth syndrome.
A psychological malaise supposedly affecting wealthy young people, symptoms of which include a lack of motivation, feelings of guilt, and a sense of isolation.
How to use Affluenza in a sentence?
- Attorneys argued that the teen suffered from affluenza since he did not know right from wrong due to his wealthy upbringing.
- There are many exceptions to the rule, but a fear of affluenza has prompted some wealthy parents to disinherit their children for magnanimous reasons.
- Affluenza also refers to the single-minded pursuit of accumulating wealth and success which has the potential to damage relationships and cause depression and/or anxiety.
- Individuals who suffer from affluenza fail to recognize the societal repurcussions of their actions, which may cause mental or physical harm or anguish upon others.
- Affluenza is a social condition that presents itself in individuals in positions of high status or privilege who believe that they will not be held accountable for their actions because of their social position.
- Social scientists blame the appearance of affluenza on contemporary culture that fetishizes wealth but provide strategies to avoid this social condition.
Meaning of Affluenza & Affluenza Definition