Definition of Acquisition:
We mostly hear about acquisitions of large well-known companies because these huge and significant deals tend to dominate the news. In reality, mergers and acquisitions (M&A) occur more regularly between small- to medium-size firms than between large companies.
Taking control of a firm by purchasing 51 percent (or more) of its voting shares.
Taking possession of an asset by purchase.
The learning or developing of a skill, habit, or quality.
An asset or object bought or obtained, typically by a library or museum.
Taking custody of records.
An acquisition is when one company purchases most or all of another company's shares to gain control of that company. Purchasing more than 50% of a target firm's stock and other assets allows the acquirer to make decisions about the newly acquired assets without the approval of the company’s shareholders. Acquisitions, which are very common in business, may occur with the target company's approval, or in spite of its disapproval. With approval, there is often a no-shop clause during the process.
Synonyms of Acquisition
Purchase, Accession, Addition, Asset, Assumption, Assuming, Taking on, Acquiring, Acquisition, Affecting, Affectation, Espousal, Advocacy, Promotion, Appropriation, Arrogation, Acceptance, Accession, Accomplishment, Accomplishments, Achievement, Acquirement, Acquiring, Acquisition of knowledge, Acquisitions, Admission, Admittance, Assets, Assumption, Attainment, Attainments, Belongings, Claiming, Derivation, Edification, Education, Enlightenment, Finish, Gain, Getting, Illumination, Increment, Instruction, Learning, Liberal education, Means, Object, Obtaining, Possession, Possessions, Procurement, Property, Purchase, Receipt, Receival, Receiving, Reception, Sophistication, Store of knowledge, Taking, Taking away, Taking possession, Theft
How to use Acquisition in a sentence?
- The acquisition of management skills.
- The legacy will be used for new acquisitions.
- If a firm buys more than 50% of a target company's shares, it effectively gains control of that company.
- An acquisition occurs when one company buys most or all of another company's shares.
- Jen bought 31 percent of Sarahs company, when added to her previous 20 percent she bought last year, Jens acquisition was complete.
- Looking to expand their business, the mobile provider made an acquisition of a company whose primary service is cable television.
- As john drove home, he swung by the marina to look at his new boat; he is quite satisfied with his latest acquisition .
- An acquisition is often friendly, while a takeover can be hostile; a merger creates a brand new entity from two separate companies.
Meaning of Acquisition & Acquisition Definition