1996 Dodge Ram 1500 Transmission Problems

1996 dodge ram 1500 transmission problems have been reported. A torque flite 46re gearbox in your Dodge was likely installed there from the factory. Transmission dependability was cited as one of several problems beginning with the Ram 1500. Shifts are clunky, and gears are missing. This is scary if you need a work vehicle.

Common Problems with the Dodge Ram 1500 Transmission

Transmission Codes (DTCs) for shifting issues and solenoid/pressure switch failure - 42RLE

Slipping and hard shifts are two symptoms of 42RLE transmission difficulties drivers may face. The following error codes P0750, P0755, P0760, P0765, P0846, P0871, and P0841 may also be recorded in the ECU and cause the check engine light to come on.

It’s possible that the rust in the solenoid harness’s ten pin connector is to blame for the issue. A problem with the TCM/connection ECUs to the transmission harness might be to blame. Wiring problems and/or the installation of a brand-new 42RLE 10-pin connection are in order.

Forward clutch failure that occurs too soon

Forward clutch failure is prevalent in older vehicles, making it impossible to drive. The employment of power programmers/chips to enhance engine output can overload various internal components, such as the valve body, the stator bushing, the forward clutch piston seal, the forward drum assembly, and so on.

Inaccurate and/or jarring 3-4-5 shifts - 545RFE Transmission

Issue: Some drivers have reported that shifting into third or fourth gear is notably sluggish or unpleasant, as though the transmission simply doesn’t want to move into those gears.

Note: The failure of one of the check balls in the valve body, which allows fluid to pass through and engage the underdrive clutch during shifts, necessitates this repair. To rectify the situation, a superior #2 check ball is required.

Dodge Ram 1500 1996 - Problems with the Automatic Transmission

The 1996 Dodge Ram 1500 has ten recorded cases of automatic gearbox failure. Please see a list below of the most recent issues reported to us.

• One Issue with an Automatic Transmission

• Transmission failure, Dodge Ram.

• Two, Difficulty with the Automatic Transaxle

The third time’s the charm for this transmission replacement. There is no diagnostic data available from the transmission.

Third-Party Troubleshooting of Automatic Transmission

The car could not continue functioning due to a failing gearbox under typical driving circumstances. A transmission expert has inspected the car and concluded that the transmission needs to be reconditioned or replaced.

An expert has noted that he or she has had to fix or replace the gearboxes in many Dodge trucks. In case you have any further materials, please include them.

The issue with the Automatic Transmission

The transmission in my car has broken down twice since I bought it. For the first time, the dealership repaired it free of charge under a guarantee. In this case, though, it’s beyond inexcusable.

There has never been a car where I have experienced as many issues with the powertrain as I have with this one. I know I’m not the only one with this issue. The next time it fails, I’m afraid it may cause an incident.

Disabling Issues with the Automatic Transmission, Number 5

There was a pause when shifting into reverse. The delay got longer and longer until it ultimately stopped being reversible. No explanation has been given.

Faulty Automatic Transmission

When traveling between 40 and 45 mph, the car may refuse to shift out of second gear, into third gear, or into overdrive.

Hence the engine revs continue to increase, or the car acts as if it were in neutral, refusing to shift or respond to the accelerator, resulting in excessively high revs.

Difficulty With The Auto Transaxle

The above vehicle has no summary.

Weird Issues with the Automatic Transmission

I put the car in drive, but it wouldn’t go. Behaved as though the shifter were still in the park position. It would need constant use of the brakes. Instances of the issue were rare. Brought it in for inspection, but the dealer came up empty.

Difficulty With The Automatic Transmission

Having trouble with the transmission when going down the road. When shifting, it would lurch violently into gear. Changing gears too quickly, Also, and the engine was irrationally revving.

Difficulties With An Automatic Transmission

The consumer received notification of recall repair; the dealership did not perform recall repair.

FAQs

1 - Is it safe to drive if my gearbox is faulty?

You could think, “It’s OK, I’ll simply drive it until I can get it fixed” if your Dodge Ram 1500 still gets you from Point A to Point B. However, depending on the signs, that may not always be the best action. The reason is that transmission contains many (extremely expensive) moving parts, which might cause additional harm to the vehicle if one fails.

2 - How often does a Dodge Ram 1500 transmission need to be replaced?

Transmissions in Dodge Ram 1500s have a rather short lifespan regardless of how well they are cared for. Inaccuracies in the vehicle’s original manufacturing also have a role, as can the conditions in which you drive. On the other hand, we’ve seen transmissions in Dodge Ram 1500s last anywhere from 130,000 to 180,000 miles on average. However, if all factory design problems have been rectified and the vehicle has been maintained, a high-quality replacement gearbox can endure for a long time.

3 - In what ways are transmission problems in a Dodge Ram 1500 identified?

It’s not hard to speculate what’s causing the gearbox issues on your Dodge Ram 1500, but you won’t know for sure without the proper diagnostic equipment and skills. Your truck’s diagnostic trouble codes (DTCs) may be read by hooking it up to a diagnostic scanner at a reputable auto shop or transmission repair facility. A visual check can confirm the issue if they know what to look for.

4 - How can I change the gearbox in my Dodge Ram 1500?

The transmission of a Dodge Ram 1500 must be removed from the vehicle, which necessitates lifting the truck off the ground. The old gearbox must be removed and the new one raised to the proper height before installation.

5 - What years did Dodge Ram 1500 have transmission problems?

Five and six-speed automatic gearboxes are the subjects of frequent recalls and customer complaints for Dodge Ram pickups. These were standard equipment on the 2009 Dodge Ram and 1500, 2500, 3500, 4500, and 5500 of the Ram lineup from 2010 to 2017. To connect the engine to the wheels, a gearbox is required.

Conclusion

Transmissions of the A518 (46RE) or 545RFE kind were available for the Dodge Ram 1500. The 6-speed 65RFE was one of several transmissions available for the newest generation Ram 1500. But they’re not perfect, so let’s look at the most typical issues with the transmission in a Dodge Ram 1500, estimate how much it would cost to fix it, and discuss our options.

Related Articles

1. Old dodge charger

2. Dodge charger convertible

3. Dodge hellcat truck

How many kilometers you want to repair and replace your car parts. Don't drive and give up if something is holding you back. I have 90 and # x27 300,000 miles of old RAM that looks new. My friend owns a 1995 Mercedes that is 230,000 miles away and is expensive to maintain.

I have a 1996 Dodge Ram 4x4, sooner or later it will be replaced, what could it be?

After driving for 20 minutes, mine became 4 to 3 from over drive. I will not come back O / D indicator light. After stopping for a few minutes and getting out, it should work normally for a while.

Probably low fluid pressure. The cooler may be connected. To check this, remove the drain from the radiator. Use a 2 foot bracket with clamps to attach the drain to the refrigerator. Leading the way to SRT. May be? The radiator is full. For spare refrigerators and voila. Not okay with old refrigerators!