In mathematics, a fraction is defined as a portion of something larger. For example, if a pizza is cut into four equal pieces, each piece is equal to 14. Fractions make it easier to distribute and judge numbers while also speeding up calculations. The representation of fractions appears to be simpler than that of decimal values.
- The word “fraction” comes from the Latin word “fractus,” which meaning “broken.”
- Fraction has existed since the Egyptian era, which is considered to be one of the world’s earliest civilizations. Fractions, on the other hand, were not considered numbers; instead, they were used to compare whole numbers to one another.
A fraction is a mathematical term that denotes a piece of something larger. It represents the whole’s equal pieces. The numerator and the denominator are basically two elements of a fraction. The number written at the top is called numerator and the number written at the bottom is called denominator. The numerator means the no. of equal portions taken and the denominator defines the equal portions taken as a total.
For example, 5/10 is a fraction.
5 is numerator here and 10 is denominator
- If you divide a pizza into two equal portions, each half equals half of the total pizza.
- If we divide a watermelon slice into three equal sections, each part is 1/3rd of the total.
There are four different types of fractions. They are:
- Unit Fraction — The fraction in which numerator is one is called unit fraction. For example, ½, ¼
- Proper Fraction —The fraction in which numerator is less than the denominator. Example: 7/9, 8/10
- Improper Fraction —Any fraction in which numerator is greater than denominator is called proper fraction. Example: 6/5, 11/10
- Mixed Fraction —A fraction where both whole number a nd proper fraction are present is called mixed fraction. Example 5 ¾, 10 ½
To begin, we write the given number as p/q, where p and q are positive integers.
To do so, write the given number as 0.3/1, multiply by 10, and divide by 10.
We multiply and divide by 10 because there is one digit after the decimal.
We get, 0.3/1 x 10/10 = 3/10.
Input parameters and values should be addressed.
Parameters and values for input: 0.3 is the decimal number.
Write as a fraction
Both the numerator and denominator is multiplied by 10(0.3 x 10)/(1 x 10) = 3/10
It can be written as 30 percent = 30/100 or 3/10
To simplify 3/10, find LCM for 3 and 10.
Least common factor for 3 and 10 is 1
If the least common factor(LCM) is 1 then the fraction can’t be categorized further. Simply we can say that 3/10 is the fraction for 0.33
0.3 can be written as a fraction in many ways:
A fraction has two parts. The number which is present at the top(Top Of Fraction) is called numerator. The denominator defines the equal portions taken as a total. The value present below the line is called denominator.
Example: There are total of 5 children.
3 out of 5 are girls. So, three fifth is the collection of girls( 3⁄5 ).
2 out of 5 are boys. So, two-fifth is the collection of boys( 2⁄5 ).
75 can be written in fraction as 1/4
70% can be written in fraction as 7/10
In order to convert 1/8 to a decimal. First of all, divide the denominator into numerator. 1 divided by 8 = 0.125
In decimal format 1/3 can be represented as 0.3333.